Carteret County Confederate Soldiers Monument
Description: A bronze Confederate soldier stands atop a granite pedestal. The soldier stands at parade rest, holding his rifle which rests on the ground. The Confederate flag is shown in bas-relief on the pedestal, above the inscription.
Pedestal, top: CSA
TO THE MEMORY OF THE / CONFEDERATE DEAD / OF CARTERET COUNTY /
1861-1865 / ERECTED BY / THE DAUGHTERS OF / CONFEDERACY /
FORT MACON CHAPTER / BEAUFORT, N.C. 1926 / NOT EVEN TIME CAN DESTROY HEROISM
Pedestal, bottom: OUR CONFEDERATE HEROES
Dedication date: 5/10/1926
Materials & Techniques: Bronze, granite
Sponsor: United Daughters of the Confederacy, Fort Macon Chapter; Morehead City Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy; and Mr. F. S. Dickinson, a businessman from Rutherford, N.J.
Unveiling & Dedication: The monument was dedicated on May 10, 1926. According to a personal account, Senator Simmons from New Bern made a speech, and bands played.
Subject notes: In contrast to the destruction visited on other major cities and ports in the south during the Civil War, Beaufort was left untouched and was occupied by Union forces beginning in April 1862.
Location: The statue sits on the south lawn of the County Courthouse in Beaufort and faces outward toward the street.
Landscape: The statue sits on the lawn surrounded by plantings, hedges, and mature trees.
Subjects: Civil War