Carolina College for Women
Carolina College for Women, located at Maxton, was chartered by the North Carolina Methodist Conference in 1907. The Reverend S. E. Mercer and Euclid H. McWhorter, pastor of the Maxton Methodist Church, led the efforts to establish the school. With funds from the Methodist Conference and local contributions, a stately main building was constructed, and the school began operations in 1912. It was a liberal arts school, with emphasis on spiritual development and education in the arts. Mercer was the first president, and others who served in that position were R. B. John and S. E. Green.
The college operated until 1926, when it closed for financial reasons. Its properties were acquired by the North Carolina Synod of the Presbyterian Church for the establishment of Presbyterian Junior College.
Dorothy Collins, "Three Schools on a Maxton Campus," in Maxton, North Carolina, 1874-1974: Maxton Area Centennial, March 29-April 6, 1974 (1974).
Maud Thomas, Away Down Home: A History of Robeson County, North Carolina (1982).
1 January 2006 | McKinnon, Henry A., Jr.