African American Moravian Log Church
This small log church was built in Salem, North Carolina in 1823 as the Moravian church for African Americans. The church was built by African Americans and sat next to the African American and Strangers' Graveyard. In 1861, increasing number of members led to the African American congregation moved to a larger brick church. After the Civil War the log church was used for a freedman's hospital and then turned residential. In the early twentieth century the log church was demollished.
African Moravian Log Church - Lot 104, Digital Forsyth. https://www.digitalforsyth.org/photos/7566 (Accessed November 9, 2018).
African Moravian Log Church - Lot 104. 1890. Lantern Slide. Published by Old Salem Museums and Gardens. Digital Forsyth. https://www.digitalforsyth.org/photos/7566 (Accessed November 9, 2018).
This item has been made available for non-profit use in education and teaching by the institution or organization that holds the item or it may be included in NCpedia and/or ANCHOR by permission. Please click the link to the item at the institution's website for more information about copyright or allowable uses for the item.