Colored Union Soldiers Monument
Description: A rectangular stone marker sits atop a concrete base. It has a pointed top and is engraved with text on two sides. The marker is accompanied by a North Carolina Civil War Trails marker and informational placard.
Front: IN MEMORY / OF THE / COLORED UNION / SOLDIERS WHO / FAUGHT IN THE / WAR OF / 1861 1865
Rear: ERECTED BY THE UNITED DAUGHTERS OF VETERANS
Dedication date: 1910
Sponsor: United Daughters of Veterans
Location: Corner of Dobbs/King St. and Hyde Park St., known as Academy Green. This was the location of Perquimans County's first black school, library and church (present-day First Baptist Church).
Subjects: Civil War
11 July 2014 | Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina