Description: This monument is an obelisk with a statue of a soldier on top of it. Inscriptions adorn all four faces of the base of the monument. Above these inscriptions, a confederate flag is carved into the stone of the tall column upon which the uniformed soldier, firmly gripping his gun in both hands, stands.
Front: DEO VINDICE. / WHEN CAN THEIR GLORY FADE? O THE WILD CHARGE THEY MADE ALL THE WORLD WONDERED. / 1861-1865 / TO OUR CONFEDERATE DEAD
Other inscriptions on the faces of the base: IN MEMORY OF FRANKLIN'S CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS THAT THEIR HEROIC DEEDS, SUBLIME SACRIFICE AND UNDYING DEVOTION TO DUTY AND COUNTRY MAY NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. THEY GAVE THEIR LIVES AND FORTUNES FOR CONSTITUTIONAL LIBERTY AND STATE SOVEREIGNTY IN OBEDIENCE TO THE TEACHINGS OF THE FATHERS, WHO FRAMED THE CONSTITUTION AND ESTABLISHED THE UNION OF THESE STATES. / AT APPOMATTOX GOD SAID TO THE CONFEDERATE SOLDIER "ABOUT FACE". IN OBEDIENCE TO THE CELESTIAL ORDER THERE WAS A CHANGE OF FRONT, AND THE GRAY LINE FACED THE FUTURE UNASHAMED AND UNAFRAID.
Dedication date: 5/13/1914
Sponsor: United Daughters of the Confederacy
Controversies: On June 22,2020 the Louisburg town council voted to remove the monument ostensibly in order to protect it in the wake of civil protest across the state and country following the death of George Floyd by police in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The town intends to relocate the monument to the town cemetery on Highway 401 next to Confederate graves there. A relocation date had not been set as of June 28, 2020 when the statue was taken down.
Landscape: This monument was located on North Main Street on the campus of Louisburg College. When the monument was constructed, Louisburg College was much smaller and did not extend all the way to the monument's current location. In the 1960's the College expanded, and the monument became the center of campus. Although it appeared that the monument belonged to the College, it is actually still owned by the town and is not considered a part of the campus.
Subjects: Civil War