David Schenck Monument
Description: This truncated granite column stands approximately eleven feet tall and is dedicated to one of the early preservers of the Guilford battleground.
DAVID SCHENCK /
THE PROJECTOR OF THIS BATTLE FIELD'S /
RECLAMATION AND THE ORGANIZER AND /
FIRST PRESIDENT OF THE /
GUILFORD BATTLE GROUND COMPANY /
1835 - 1902
Dedication date: 7/4/1904
Creator: Guilford Battleground Company, Unspecified
Materials & Techniques: Granite
Unveiling & Dedication: James E. Shepherd gave an address at the unveiling.
Subject notes: David Schenck is the man who conceived the idea of preserving the Guilford Battlefield; he later served as the first president of the Guilford Battleground Company. After Schenck's death in 1902 the Company adopted resolutions the following year to have a monument built in his honor.
Location: The marker is on Guilford Courthouse Tour Road 0.2 miles east of Old Battleground Road, on the right when traveling west.
Former Locations: Originally along the New Garden Road (now a walking path), the monument was moved to its present location in 1937.
Subjects: Historic Philanthropic Figures,Historic Political Figures