Moores Creek Stage Road Monument
Moores Creek National Battlefield
Description: This monument is a 5' x 8" granite boulder with a polished frame for the inscription and a small relief sculpture of a cannon below. The cannon faces the historic Negro Head Point Road and resides on the battlefield outside the reconstructed earthworks. Originally, the monument rested atop a concrete base that no longer remains.
Nickname: Old Wilmington and Fayetteville Road Monument
OLD WILMINGTON AND FAYETTEVILLE STAGE ROAD / ROUTE TAKEN BY BRITISH AND TORY ARMY FROM / CROSS CREEK TO JOIN LORD CORNWALLIS AND / CLINTON AT WILMINGTON. THEY WERE DEFEATED IN / THE BATTLE OF THIS PLACE. 350 WERE CAPTURED / AS PRISONERS OF WAR FEB. 27, 1776
Dedication date: 7/27/1911
Creator: Meier's Marble and Granite Works, Unspecified
Materials & Techniques: Granite
Sponsor: Moores Creek Monumental Association
Post dedication use: An annual ceremony of the battle of Moores Creek is held in February with historic military demonstrations and reenactments.
Subject notes: The monument marks the location of the historic Wilmington-Fayetteville road traveled by both the Loyalist and Patriot forces.
Controversies: According to the National Park Service, there is no evidence that this road was ever used by a stage or if it even connected to Fayetteville.
Location: The monument is located next to the historic Negro Head Point Road on the battlefield.
Former Locations: The monument was moved from its original location on July 26, 1838 for restoration of the original earthworks on the battlefield.
Landscape: The monument sits at the intersection of historic trails in a clearing before a forested area.
Subjects: Revolutionary War