Description: The monument has a square granite base that supports a marble column. A Confederate soldier stands in contrapposto in full uniform on top of the column. He wears a hat and holds his rifle firmly in both hands. A confederate flag, seemingly blowing in the wind, is carved into the column of the base below the letters "C.S.A." Inscriptions regarding those soldiers lost in the war are located on the square base of the monument.
Contemporary view |
Rear view |
Front plaque |
Front: ERECTED BY / THE ROBERT E. LEE CHAPTER / OF THE / DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY / NO. 324 / SEPT. 14, 1905. / OUR CONFEDERATE DEAD
Rear: SLEEP SWEETLY IN YOUR HUMBLE GRAVES / SLEEP MARTYRS OF A FALLEN CAUSE. / FOR LO A MARBLE COLUMN GRAVES. / THE PILGRIM HERE TO PAUSE. / 1861-65.
Dedication date: 9/14/2005
Materials & Techniques: Marble column, granite base
Sponsor: Robert E. Lee Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy No. 324
Location: Located directly across the street from the Old Davidson County Courthouse, 2 S. Main Street, Lexington, NC.
Former Locations: The monument used to be located in the center of a traffic circle, but it was moved after being hit by cars. It is now in Lexington Square in front of the Old Davidson County Courthouse.
Subjects: Civil War
11 July 2014 | Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina